It comes into force on the 12th October, 2005 (120th day of its enactment on 15th June, 2005). Some provisions have come into force with immediate effect viz. obligations of public authorities [S.4(1)], designation of Public Information Officers and Assistant Public Information Officers[S.5(1) and 5(2)], constitution of Central Information Commission (S.12 and 13), constitution of State Information Commission (S.15 and 16), non-applicability of the Act to Intelligence and Security Organizations (S.24) xand power to make rules to carry out the provisions of the Act (S.27 and 28).
2. Who is covered?
3. What does information mean?
4. What does Right to Information mean?
5. What are the obligations of public authority?
6. What is not open to disclosure?
7. Is partial disclosure allowed?
8. What does a "public authority" mean?
9. Who is excluded?
10. Who are 'Third Parties'?
11. Who are Public Information Officers (PIOs)?
12. What are the duties of a PIO?
13. What is the Application Procedure for requesting information?
14. What is the time limit to get the information?
15. What is the fee?
16. What could be the ground for rejection?
17. Who are the Appellate Authorities?
18. How is Central Information Commission constituted?
19 What is the eligibility criteria and what is the process of appointment of CIC/IC ?
20. What is the term of office and other service conditions of CIC?
21. What is the term of office and other service conditions of IC?
22. How is the State Information Commission constituted?
23. What is the eligibility criterion and what is the process of appointment of State Chief Information Commissioner/State Information Commissioners?
24. What are the powers and functions of Information Commissions?
25. What is the reporting procedure?
26. What are the penalty provisions?
27. What is the jurisdiction of courts?
28. What is the role of Central/State Governments?
29. Who has the Rule making power?
30. Who has the power to deal with the difficulties while implementing this act?